The CNG cylinder fitted in the van exploded turning the vehicle into a fireball.
KARACHI(web desk) – Six of a family were burnt alive and four others suffered burns on Sunday when a van caught fire due to cylinder explosion in Karachi’s Garden area.
According to details, families of Garden area residents Saleem and Muhammad Ali were en route to Hawks Bay for picnic when a short circuit occurred at the back side of the vehicle near zoo.
The CNG cylinder fitted in the van exploded turning the vehicle into a fireball. The blast was so intense that the people did not get a chance to get out of the van.
Rescue teams arrived at the scene and shifted four injured people to Civil Hospital after pulling them out from the van. They later controlled the fire and doused it.
The deceased include three men, two women and one child. Two volunteer relief workers and two van passengers including 17-year-old Maryam and eight-year-old Shehroze were among the injured.
The volunteers have been discharged from the hospital after medical aid whereas the other two are still under treatment.
However; the van driver managed to escape after the accident.